Meditation Articles by Eric Harrison
In this section you will find the following articles:
- 'What is Meditation?' explains what meditation is and how it works.
- 'Mindfulness or Meditation?' explains the differences between meditation and mindfulness.
- 'Standard Meditation Practice' describes the typical elements of meditation practice.
- 'Mindfulness Explained' explores the various types of mindfulness practices.
- 'Stress' explains the biology of this fuzzy subject.
- ‘Anxiety’ explains how stress affects our minds and how meditation can help.
- ‘Sleep’ outlines why and how we should attempt to improve our sleep.
- ‘Muscle Tension’ explain how meditation relaxes the body.
- 'When walking, just walk' explains why it is useful to be present while walking.
- 'Why I am not a Buddhist' is an analysis of Buddhism and its relationship to meditation.
Focusing: the full Story
This long article explains how attention works both in meditation and in life. It discusses automatic and conscious attention; managing distractions; deep and shallow focus; high and low arousal; how to check quality; the purpose of attention and the state of total focus.
Awareness: the full Story
This long article explains awareness, mindfulness, self-observation and being present, both in meditation and in life. It discusses the many functions of awareness; how it interacts with focusing; how to enhance it; its purpose and benefits; and the way it is described in the spiritual literature.